Whether you are a job seeker or employed, you might have asked yourself a common question. Does the perfect career start with a Full-time Or Part-time Job?
Both of them have engaging advantages, as well as a few disadvantages. Further, we will introduce you to some elements that will help you choose the right path in your career.
What is a Part-Time Job & Freelancing?
A part-time is is a form of employment where only a few hours of work are required. in Denmark, this implies less than 30 hours/week. Also, it usually follows with a contract. The job can be in shifts, which rotate among the employer’s needs. Sometimes, you can be the one choosing the working days, time, or your working place.
However, many confuse the Part-Time Contractual Job with Freelancing. Similarly to the Part-time job, Freelancing involves working for an employer within limited working hours. Nonetheless, you can be booked to work as a freelancer in three ways.
Here are the 5 most common working conditions for a Freelancer.
First example: You can obtain an offer for 3 months as a Full-time Or Part-time Job. This can be followed by a contract or simply you will be paid by invoice request.
Second example: You can work strictly during an active company project (time frame may vary). Very common for Graphic Designers.
Third example: As a freelancer, you can be in a position to specify your available working hours. This is in a case where the employer has appealed to your services.
All in all, as a freelancer you can work flexible hours and work for multiple companies/projects at the same time.
What are the advantages and disadvantages of a part-time job?
If you choose to have a part-time/freelance career, here are the main advantages and disadvantages of it.
- Enlarging your network. As a freelancer, you have the opportunity to meet a variety of people from different industries.
- Working with diverse tasks. In the long run, you have the possibility to accumulate enough experience. Also, you will build a perfect skillset for a full-time job.
- Working with more companies simultaneously (more experience and recognition). For instance, building your network throughout companies can itself bring you a Full-time Or another Part-time Job. Altogether, knowing the potential recruiters and proving them your skills can highlight you to their own network.
- Being able to engage more with your private life.
- Choosing the desired workplace; your employer might allow you to work from home, from a coffee shop, or just your favorite spot in town. It is important to learn how to stay productive while working from home.
- Selecting the desired working time; if your job is remote, you might choose the working schedule.
- The employee benefits – such as vacation money, health insurance, and retirement plan are slightly harder to obtain or otherwise not included.
- The salary can vary; in some months, your salary might be lower, depending on how many working hours you had.
- There is no long-term guarantee regarding your employment agreement; you might only have the job for a couple of days/ weeks/months.
- There might be the need to work more than one part-time/freelance job; to win the desired amount of money, sometimes you might have to take a second job.
What is a full-time job?
A full-time job is a career that involves more than 30 hours of work/ week. Mainly with a fixed schedule that must the respected, associated with a permanent contract. Through a full-time job, the employee is eligible for several social benefits. In most cases, the employer decides the working hours, pension payment, days, and location. If you are traveling to work, it is possible to have your transportation deducted.
What are the advantages and disadvantages of a full-time job?
If you choose to have a full-time career, here are the main advantages and disadvantages of it.
- Financial security; the salary is a stable one, with possibilities to earn a raise.
- Holidays and a part of the sick days are financially covered (paid leave).
- You can also benefit from a well-paid pension plan.
- Higher self-esteem and well-being.
- You might benefit from incorporated training and development plans.
- Engaging in a daily routine; sometimes, the everyday tasks will not variate, and you might feel stagnated in your career.
- Your CV might show mostly limited abilities if you stick to the same tasks every day. However, this strictly depends on the type of job.
For instance, if a company offers a proportion plan for your position, your skill set may grow and appear more diverse.
What type of person are you?
Analyze the advantages and disadvantages of both job types. After the next step, think of what type of person you are; are you more career-oriented, or are you more family-oriented?
Suppose right now you are dreaming of building a financial path in your life. In that case, you wish to dedicate most of your time and energy to building up your career. Then, you might find yourself in the position of a (future) full-time worker.
On the other hand, a part-time job is suitable if your focus right now is on personal activities (education/ family/ traveling) or are financially secure.
Do keep in mind that your job choice might change through time, so it is a good idea always to keep your options open be it Full-time Or Part-time Job. Finally, it is no surprise that life can catch us off guard, and we will need to commit to jobs that are not the best fit for our desires. Yet, nobody can stop you from achieving your goals, as long as you know exactly where you belong and which type of job is best for you.
Team Day Worker
Sources | We use only trusted content
Pictures: https://pixabay.com/photos/telephone-mobile-call-samsung-586268/ https://pixabay.com/photos/entrepreneur-startup-start-up-man-593361/ https://pixabay.com/photos/wash-a-car-the-car-blue-1822415/ https://pixabay.com/photos/kitchen-work-restaurant-cook-chef-731351/